Live, In-Person CME/CE Program for Physicians, Nurses, and Allied Health Professionals
The Joint Commission has reported that “communication errors” are the most frequent root cause of sentinel events reviewed. This presentation will discuss the critical role that communication plays in our healthcare system and provides effective techniques to improve communication between healthcare professionals. In addition, this presentation offers specific strategies to improve communication between providers and patients that create a safer healthcare system.
- Prevalence and impact of communication errors in ambulatory care
- Current challenges that face healthcare professionals and the system
- Techniques to improve communication in clinics and office settings
- Legal implications of miscommunication
- Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals pertaining to communication
- Methodologies to improve communication for referrals and “handoffs”
- Office Electronic Medical Records: pluses and pitfalls
- Effective strategies to improve ambulatory provider – patient communication
Dr. Mackles addressed a group of 45-50 attendees on his program, Doctor, Tie Your Shoes Before You Trip – The Prevention of Medical Errors. The responses from the evaluations were outstanding. The presentation was video fed live to our sister hospital and we videotaped the program and plan to use it for in-house training purposes over the next 6 months. We were very pleased with Dr. Mackles’ presentation and believe it was valuable for all who attended.