Strategies for a Safer Healthcare System
Live, In-Person CME/CE Program for Physicians, Nurses, and Allied Health Professionals
The Joint Commission has reported that “communication errors” are the most frequent root cause of sentinel events reviewed. This presentation will discuss the critical role that communication plays in our healthcare system and provides effective techniques to improve communication between healthcare professionals. In addition, this presentation offers specific strategies to improve communication between providers and patients that create a safer healthcare system.
- Prevalence and impact of communication errors in healthcare
- Current challenges that face healthcare professionals and the system
- Medical training and communication
- Legal implications of miscommunication
- Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals pertaining to communication
- Healthcare “Handoffs.” Techniques to improve communication during “handoffs”
- Communication for office and ambulatory care settings
- Effective strategies to improve provider – patient communication
Dr. Mackles addressed a specialty medical society CME meeting of 150-200 OBGYN’s, nurses, and microbiologists who work in the field of reproductive medicine at Rancho Las Palmas Resort in Rancho Mirage, CA. His program, Doctor, Tie Your Shoes Before You Trip – The Prevention of Medical Errors, was very well received and addressed timely issues facing the healthcare community today.
Dr. Mackles brings a personable and professional approach to his talk; making fun of himself and providing stories and examples from his time spent as a physician. He connects with his audience as only a colleague who’s been there can.
Doctor, Tie Your Shoes Before You Trip is a lively , entertaining program addressing a very serious subject. It is a critical message physicians and healthcare professionals need to “get and use” for the good of their patients.