Strategies for a Safer Healthcare System
Live, In-Person CME/CE Program for Physicians, Nurses, and Allied Health Professionals
The Joint Commission has reported that “communication errors” are the most frequent root cause of sentinel events reviewed. This presentation will discuss the critical role that communication plays in our healthcare system and provides effective techniques to improve communication between healthcare professionals. In addition, this presentation offers specific strategies to improve communication between providers and patients that create a safer healthcare system.
- Prevalence and impact of communication errors in healthcare
- Current challenges that face healthcare professionals and the system
- Medical training and communication
- Legal implications of miscommunication
- Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals pertaining to communication
- Healthcare “Handoffs.” Techniques to improve communication during “handoffs”
- Communication for office and ambulatory care settings
- Effective strategies to improve provider – patient communication
Dr. Mackles presented his informative and entertaining program entitled The Prevention of Medical Errors. The program was so successful that we have asked Dr. Mackles to return to facilitate another program on Hospital Risks and Patient Safety Issues at our facility. Dr. Mackles has also been invited to present another informative lecture at our sister hospital in Hialeah. We feel fortunate to have a leading professional who is willing and able to share his experience and knowledge with us so that we can continually improve our service to our patients.