Strategies for a Safer Healthcare System
Live, In-Person CME/CE Program for Physicians, Nurses, and Allied Health Professionals
The Joint Commission has reported that “communication errors” are the most frequent root cause of sentinel events reviewed. This presentation will discuss the critical role that communication plays in our healthcare system and provides effective techniques to improve communication between healthcare professionals. In addition, this presentation offers specific strategies to improve communication between providers and patients that create a safer healthcare system.
- Prevalence and impact of communication errors in healthcare
- Current challenges that face healthcare professionals and the system
- Medical training and communication
- Legal implications of miscommunication
- Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals pertaining to communication
- Healthcare “Handoffs.” Techniques to improve communication during “handoffs”
- Communication for office and ambulatory care settings
- Effective strategies to improve provider – patient communication
Dr. Mackles presented his highly effective program, Doctor, Tie Your Shoes Before You Trip – The Prevention of Medical Errors, on two occasions. His delivery style, the information he presents, and the rapport he builds with his audience is outstanding. He is an excellent communicator with an important message to deliver.