Strategies for a Safer Healthcare System
Live, In-Person CME/CE Program for Physicians, Nurses, and Allied Health Professionals
The Joint Commission has reported that “communication errors” are the most frequent root cause of sentinel events reviewed. This presentation will discuss the critical role that communication plays in our healthcare system and provides effective techniques to improve communication between healthcare professionals. In addition, this presentation offers specific strategies to improve communication between providers and patients that create a safer healthcare system.
- Prevalence and impact of communication errors in healthcare
- Current challenges that face healthcare professionals and the system
- Medical training and communication
- Legal implications of miscommunication
- Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals pertaining to communication
- Healthcare “Handoffs.” Techniques to improve communication during “handoffs”
- Communication for office and ambulatory care settings
- Effective strategies to improve provider – patient communication
Dr. Mackles conducted a well presented and interesting lecture on the topic of Prevention of Medical Errors for our Medical Staff. The evaluations from our Medical Staff Members were very positive and the physicians gained better insight into techniques and methods for reducing / eliminating unnecessary medical errors. In the future, we would be glad to welcome him back to assist us in providing continuing education for our Medical Staff. Medical Error Prevention is an important subject and by having a physician who has” been there and done that” facilitate the presentation; it gives a much higher level of credibility to his peers. A strong program that I highly recommend.